So, the time has come to part company with possibly the most complete car I’ve ever owned. I’m in two minds as I won’t ever be able to replace like with like, when I hand over the keys to this one, I can’t replace it.
With a spec list that defies thought of it’s original list price, that lovely blue paint and a great engine and chassis, this is one of my favourite Astra models; practical with 5 doors, quick, on account of the high-output turbocharged engine and surprisingly nimble, with the rare IDS electronically controlled suspension dampers, it’s also quite a modern car. For me, at least.
The Spec list:
- Factory XP kit
- Standard 18″ Penta alloy wheels with Bridgestone tyres
- AFL xenon headlamps
- IDS electronically controlled damping
- Cruise control
- Automatic headlamps
- Rain sensing wipers
- 6-speed manual gearbox
- Electronic climate control
- CDC40 radio / 6-CD changer
- Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB) radio receiver
- Fully integrated bluetooth handsfree
- Electric folding as well as heated and adjustable mirrors
- Auto-dip rear view mirror
- Bluetooth audio (stream from phone etc)
Inside and out, it’s in nice condition, which is largely why I bought this car and why I paid so much for it. No dings or scratches in the bodywork, not even swirl marks in the paint really and I haven’t polished it – it came to me that way and all I have done is put an occasional layer of Autobrite Project 32 on it (a paint sealant), which seems to keep it looking good. The wheels were refurbished just before I bought the car and (miraculously?) still haven’t been kerbed. Being so big, I can reach inside to clean the insides of the rims as well… so I have!
More to say:
- What I’ve done to it
- Maintenance items
- MOT date